It’s not hard to understand why these chicken wings are so popular. Economical and delicious: they are perfect for Super Bowl Sunday or any other party! If you know of or have visited La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, you will understand how this tasty hors d’oeuvre got its name. I originally found this recipe in the very missed peridoical, “Gourmet” magazine. Enjoy!
“La Brea Tar Pit” Chicken Wings Recipe
Makes 48 hors d’oeuvres
Active time: 15 Minutes
Start to finish: 2 hours
- 4 pounds chicken wings, split at joint and wing tips discarded
- 1 cup soy sauce (use low-sodium soy sauce if you are salt sensitive)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1) Put a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Arrange the wings in one layer in a large roasting pan. (I spray my pan with a little Pam/Olive Oil spray and line my pan with aluminum foil for easier clean up).
3) Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over moderately low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Pour evening over wings.
4) Bake for 45 minutes. Turn wings over and bake until sauce is thick and sticky, another 30-45 minutes more. Transfer wings to a platter.